Whew! Well, the past few months have been a crazy ride, folks, but exciting things are peeking over the horizon as we speak.
Currently Working On:
- An EXCITING ANNOUNCEMENT! - Keep an eye out here, on my Facebook page, and on Twitter, because it's coming. I promise. And it's big news. (Squee!)
- Dragon Ascending - Edits. (Yes, that's a hint. Wink, wink..)
- In The Viper's Garden - Drafting. After a bit of a false start, book 3 of the Viper series is starting to come together very nicely.
- Vanir Dragon Series, Book 2 - Prewriting begins (brainstorming and planning stages). I have a feeling this one is going to be fun.
- Viper Novella - Prewriting. Planning and outlining. I have been invited to be a contributor to an upcoming boxed set of pirate-themed novellas. Mine will feature space pirates--And the Viper.
- Self-education. A convergence of timing, twists of fate, complicated characters, and a thirst for adventure has pushed me off the fence, and I have decided to publish the Viper series independently. Which means I have a lot to learn and a lot to do.
- Creating a production schedule for the upcoming year. (I'm hoping it will keep my crazy to a manageable level. Tee hee...)
Currently Waiting On:
- Not much. It seems like the theme of 2017 was "Hurry up and wait." But already, 2018 seems to be chugging down a track of "Pull out all the stops, and full steam ahead!" I think the real trick now will be keeping up with it all. All things considered, it's not a bad problem to have.
Currently Most Distracted By:
Health, both mental and physical - Fall and winter carry a bit of emotional baggage for me in the form of a succession of anniversaries of difficult events. Among others, there were two Thanksgivings in a row on which I was pregnant (a big deal after a lifetime of fertility issues and several years of unsuccessful attempts to adopt) followed by Christmases when we weren't so sure, and Januaries when I was not. Five years ago this week I was in the hospital recovering from a hemorrhagic stroke and waiting for test results to tell me if the baby I was then carrying was still viable (sadly, the answer was no, and furthermore it was too dangerous to try again). The emotional weight of it gets a little lighter with every year that goes by, but the holiday season is still a bit of a slog for me. This year it was complicated by another trip to the emergency room, which turned out to be most likely due to a very painful, but not serious condition that resolved on its own and shouldn't cause further problems. Still, I am glad to put another holiday season behind me.
Holidays - Kids off their normal schedules, parties, light festivals, goodies, and friends and singing in a Christmas cantata at church. Adventures were had by all, and now we're all ready to get back to our regularly scheduled programming. (And I have eaten waaaay too much sugar.)
Goodbyes - I have decided to discontinue my relationship with Gateway Literary Agency. My agent, Jo Shaffer, needed to take a break from agenting to manage some big changes in her personal life. I'll miss working with her. I am working to resolve some residual complications.